Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

SOME KIND OF SOUP

A little creativity goes a long way.

5 potatoes
2 cans of minced clams
8 c. of powdered milk (prepared)
1 bag of mixed veggies’
2-3 Tbsp. of margarine
1/2 c. flour
4-5 chicken bouillon cubes
1/4 c. of freeze dried chopped onion
1-2 Tbsp. of minced garlic
2-3 tsp. of seasoned salt
a dash of garlic powder and onion powder

Preparation and the story behind the soup:

So I started out with the intention of making Clam Chowder. I chopped up the last 5 potatoes, added just enough water to cover them and the clam juice from 2 cans of minced clams, put them on the stove to bring to a boil. In the mean time my son mixed up 8 c. of powdered milk. As we were doing this I realized I had 7 people to feed that night and how in the heck was that going to make enough to feed that bunch (substance wise). I then started looking through the cupboards, pantry and freezer for something else to add to it. I did find 1 bag of mixed veggies’ containing cauliflower, carrots and broccoli, so I got that out and quickly added it to the boiling pot. As the veggies started to soften, I added 7 of the 8 cups of milk and a few Tbs. of margarine, setting aside 1 c. milk for thickening. I then added the clams. I started thumbing through the spices and found 4-5 chicken bouillon cubes, about 1/4 c. of freeze dried chopped onion, 1-2 Tbsp. of minced garlic, and 2-3 tsp. of seasoned salt, a dash of garlic powder and onion powder which I added for flavor. At this point I was unsure what I was making, but it smelled delicious. I then prepared the thickener with the last cup of milk and about 1/2 c. flour. After my creation started to boil again, I slowly stirred in the thickener. I waited long enough for it to reach my desired consistency, which took adding a little hot water for thinning, but WALA it was fantastic! Even the extra kids raved about the dish and once again we had a feast, when it would have been a famine.

Search Amazon.com for freeze dried chopped onion
Search Amazon.com for bouillon cubes

No comments:

Post a Comment